Friday, March 20, 2009

Tagetes tenuifolia 'Lulu': seeds

Tagetes tenuifolia, known in English as "signet marigold" and in French as tagète tachée, is an annual native to Mexico and Central America. The low-growing plants have feathery foliage and flowers in various shades of orange, dark red, and yellow. This cultivar has single lemon-yellow flowers.

This is my first year growing signet marigolds from seed. I was surprised by the seeds, which are long and thin with a tuft of blond hair on one end.

The very day after I sowed the seeds, I was thrilled to see what I thought was a sprout! Then I realized it was just the blond tuft of the seed sticking out. Oh well, by next week I'm sure I'll have lots of real sprouts to admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin