Sunday, June 28, 2009

Onoclea sensibilis fronds

[Photo: Onoclea sensibilis fronds.]Onoclea sensibilis, known in English as "sensitive fern" or "bead fern" and in French as onoclée sensible, is a perennial fern native to North America and east Asia. The name "sensitive" refers to its sensitivity to frost, and I think the name "bead fern" refers to the appearance of the fertile fronds.

Sensitive fern was the first fern I learned to recognize. Its coarse fronds are quite different from the other native ferns in our area.

Sensitive fern grows in moist areas. I photographed these ferns at Purdon Conservation Area.

1 comment:

  1. I have this growing in my garden and didn't know what type of fern it was. Thanks!
    This is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin