Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Garden bloggers' Bloom Day April 2009

Once again, it is Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Although I'm supposedly in the same zone as Carol, spring is coming more slowly here in Toronto though unlike last month, I do have a few blooms to post today.

[Photo: Scilla siberica in bloom.]The Siberian squill (Scilla siberica), which the landlords' kids and I rescued from a garden down the street last year, are in their glory now.

[Photo: another Scilla siberica bloom.] Unfortunately, I found out long after the kids and I rescued them that Siberian squill is an invasive species in southern Ontario according to Invasive Exotic Species Ranking for Southern Ontario. I need to learn more about how the things spread; hopefully I can control them, since the landlords' eldest will be very unhappy if I rip out his squill.

[Photo: Iris reticulata 'Cantab' bloom.]Only one of my reticulated irises (Iris reticulata 'Cantab') is still in bloom. This picture came out badly but I didn't have time to take another because I had to catch a train—I'm posting this from my mom's apartment in eastern Ontario. Fortunately I got a prettier picture a couple of weeks ago.

This early stardrift, still in bud, (Puschkinia libanotica) is another rescue from the garden down the street. (Here's a photo of the gorgeous masses of early stardrift in that garden before the new owner attempted to replace it with sod. I say "attempted" because a number of puschkinia have popped up through the lawn this year despite his efforts.)

All of the flowers out today are blue, but we did have some bright yellow winter aconite (Eranthis hyemalis, see photo) which bloomed at the end of March, managing to avoid both the March and April Bloom Days. There are also hyacinths and tulips in bud, and lots of growth on the daffodills, columbines, and beebalm. Lots to look forward to!

[Photo: Easter tree.]I couldn't resist including the Easter decorations the landlords' kids put up, which add lots of gay colour even though they aren't technically blooms. I think that decorating Easter trees is a Czech tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Now WHY in the world would someone want to get rid of beautiful pushkeniana in favor of sod??? I have lots of spring flowers coming up in my lawn, and i love it. Lucky for you, though, to have a source where you can dig it up!

    Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe that the fragile scilla is a thug. And interesting to read about your iris reticulata still in bloom - mine are just wispy brown leaves now. Not often Scotland is ahead of other places in terms of growing seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin