Saturday, August 20, 2011

Plants that survive neglect

It has been a very busy summer, and not in the ways I had planned.

In early June, my wonderful landlords of the last 12 years told me they were moving to Scarborough or Markham for work-related reasons. They had to sell the house my apartment was in, and of course it turned out that the new owners did not want a tenant. Yikes!

Of course the Toronto housing market is difficult for anyone, let alone a single mom with a very low income. So my summer so far has been spent looking for a place to live, packing, and now unpacking.

Unfortunately the plants at the garden at my old place suffered a lot of neglect, and the crazy heat wave of July took its toll on many plants. Here are a few of the survivors (photos taken July 19): [Photo: Cuphea 'Lavender Lace']

Cuphea hyssopifolia 'Lavender Lace' (Mexican heather, étoile du Mexique) [Photo: Dianthus.]

Some kind of annual Dianthus. [Photo: Echinacea purpurea.]

Echinacea purpurea (purple coneflower, echinacée pourpre) [Photo: Glandularia hybrid.] Glandularia hybrid (verbena, verveine) [Photo: Rudbeckia hirta]

Rudbeckia hirta (black-eyed Susan, rudbeckie dressée) and some kind of Mentha (mint, menthe) [Photo: Zinnia 'Thumbelina'.]

Zinnia 'Thumbelina'

Unsurprisingly, I was not lucky enough to find another home with access to a garden. At least, not an outdoor garden. But my new apartment has huge windows facing southeast, so I now have the opportunity to try my hand at indoor gardening. In particular, I want to see what kind of food plants are willing to tolerate growing indoors.

And of course, I will continue to get my native plant fix through my volunteer work at High Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin